The government have provided guidleines for employers with regard to providing toilet facilities for their customers. The law requires you to provide employees with ‘adequate’ washing and toilet facilities. This means that they must:
be separate for men and women – unless they are in a lockable room intended for the use of one person at a time
- be clean, well lit and ventilated
- contain toilet paper and sanitary disposal facilities
- have hot and cold running water and soap
- have a wash basin and a method of drying hands
- contain showers where the nature of the business makes showering necessary
You should ensure that toilet facilities for disabled people are adequately designed to allow unrestricted access, including for wheelchair users, and that special facilities such as grip handles and accessible sinks/hand dryers are incorporated in the design.
For more details on the legal requirements for businesses download the Workplace Health, Safety and Guidance from the Health and Safety Executive website.